When food shopping at the Asian market for a recent cooking class, I spied fresh, ripe black plums and frozen wonton wrappers. Students love dessert and I didn't have a sweet treat on the menu. The idea was planted! Wonton wrappers are so versatile and reign as a key ingredient for Asian dumplings, ravioli or fried crispy noodles. Inexpensive and widely available, why not pair them with thin, ripe, sweet slices of plum to create a panfried dumpling? Add a coating of confectioners sugar and voila, my sweet tooth is salivating with anticipation! With one bite, the bright, inviting plum slices are exposed and the crispy, golden brown wonton is perfectly coated in powdered goodness. Try these with seasonal stone fruit or berries. Freeze any leftover wonton wrappers for another dose of fritters this summer.
Wonton wrappers laid out and ready!
Slices of gorgeous ripe plums
Plum sliced placed off center on the wonton wrapper
Wetting the first side of the wonton
Wetting the second side of the wonton wrapper
before folding the empty wonton half over the fruit
Two down, two to go!
Refrigerate the filled wontons for 30 minutes before frying
Pan fry on each side until golden brown...not long!
A good dose of powdered sugar to coat
Hope you're hungry!!
Plum Wonton Fritters
- 2 small, ripe black or red plums
- 16 wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- water, as needed
- canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Slice the plums into 16 thin slices and set aside.
- Lay the wonton wrappers about 1 inch apart on a clean work surface or cutting board. Place two thin plum slices shingled together on one diagonal half of the wonton wrapper, skin side toward the center. Using water or a pastry brush, wet the two sides of the wrapper on the half that holds the fruit. Wrap the other wonton half over top of the fruit and press to seal together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to fry, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 inch of canola or vegetable oil and when hot and shimmering (but not smoking), add the wontons to the hot oil without crowding the pan. Fry on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate for just a few seconds and then on to a paper bag with confectioners sugar. Shake to coat completely and place on serving platter. Devour immediately!!!